Saturday, September 4, 2010

Finding my way around (which way is North?)

Last night I saw Edward Scissor Hands. Not the Johnny Deep cult classic, but a man walking past me on the street dressed in head to toe costume complete with the metal scissor hands. The other day I passed a cat, an Emo teenager chose to wear kitten ears and a tail. Today, it was Little Bo Peep. After sharing these sightings, it is needless to say, Guadalajara is an eclectic city. It’s so refreshing to see people so secure in who they are free to express themselves, one might even say, inspirational. Not that I have an inner desire to dress as my favorite animal (I prefer a skirt, chunky jewelry and impractical shoes), but it’s nice to see people doing what makes them happy, not caring if strangers give them a weird look. What does it matter what they think anyway? And, it’s not just the extremes. Everyone seems to be more expressive here. Everyone is holding hands, and in the plazas couples are not shy to show their affection for one another.



It’s only been a week, but I think I’ve found my café. The wall leading to it is decorated with bright, detailed graffiti, inside they offer caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, free wifi, an art installation customers are welcome to contribute to, and a gallery upstairs currently housing a photo exhibit. If you’ve seen my pictures it’s the place with the Stewie paper character on the register. I see many assignments, like my recently completed essay, being worked on there.
In attempt to better familiarize myself with the city I have roamed around the last two evenings. I’ve stumbled upon at least four last public squares complete with large, historic cathedrals, couples taking dance lessons in the park, a group of people doing a traditional dance in the plaza, a Quinceañera, the fashion district (or at least that’s what I guess it was with the amount of shops selling puffy princess dresses in vibrant pinks and oranges) and the mariachi district. I must say that watching the couples learn to dance in the park made me miss my Fred Astaire friends, and contemplate yet again applying to be an instructor. Who knows what I’ll be when I grow up, hopefully this teaching adventure will help me figure it out…


Anyway, I hear tomorrow is “Exercise Day” on Juarez Street. I guess on Sundays they close down the street and people bicycle, run and play games. I’m excited to go for a run, I haven’t worked out since I got here (besides the copious amounts of walking). For now, it’s time to find out the plans for my first Saturday night in Guadalajara.

No comments:

Post a Comment