Thursday, January 13, 2011

High heels and Michael Jackson (o zapatos de tacón y Michael Jackson)

And so begins my effort to increase my elementary school vocabulary. From here on out, my secondary headlines will serve as a way to learn new terms, too bad this time I chose Michael Jackson to feature giving me little opportunity to use my dictionary. Anyways, on to why I've chosen to include any mention of Michael Jackson...

A couple of nights ago, after my evening classes and a bite to eat with my neighbors, I went home to catch some zzzs. (For those of you worried about my ability to find meatless food in Mexico, I was able to get a fantastic salad at this place complete with avocado, cucumber and carrots. But, I do have to stop ordering the most expensive beer, but really Bohemia is the best beer in Mexico.) I laid my head down, cuddled up next to my pup, and when I closed my eyes, what did I hear? None other than Michael Jackson's "Lean on Me" playing in the distance. It made me smile, and added a comforting sense of "home" to my place that night.

Despite Jackson's downward spiral from greatness, his music is still some of the best, and has made its way around the world. "Lean on Me" speaks to something tried and true, something of utmost importance -- friendship. I am lucky enough to have the best friends a girl could ever ask for, even if most are thousands of miles away at the moment. I've said it before, but the only way this Mexican adventure could get any better would be if I could transplant my gringo friends to sunny Tuxtla Gutierrez.

There is no way to smoothly transition from sappy to heels, so I am going to just go for it. And abruptly change subjects... The women of Mexico have a soft spot for heels. And, considering the never level, constantly cracked, sometimes slippery tile walkways between the concrete sidewalks, their ability to walk down the street without breaking their ankles a skill I am hoping to master. Not everyone wear's heels, and I haven't done a study or anything, but I would guess 7 out of ten women in Tuxtla between the ages of 16 and 46 are wearing heels to walk around the city. Today was my turn to try. I left my house and embarked on my six block walk to school in my favorite purple heels. It was a success, no broken ankles or broken heels. This surely won't be a daily endeavor, but I'm hoping with time I will be as good as the other women I see struting their stuff on Avenida Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment