Friday, September 30, 2011

China - the last few days

China was one of the most tiring "vacations" I've ever taken, and so after 10 days I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough at night to write about the days happenings. So now, almost two months later I am going to try to recount the last few days we spent on the other side of the world. The day after the Great Wall adventure we went to an art museum and then to the art district. The main exhibit was technology as art, and had some pretty fun interactive pieces. An image searching program that brought up faces similar to yours (or just random images from the looks of it) after taking a scan was in the first gallery. Anna had a couple matches, but no matter how hard I tried I always got the "no match found" message. I gave up, and let the kids have a turn.

We moved on to my favorite exhibit: Nemo Observatorium. The plaque did a good job explaining the purpose of this transparent space with flying Styrofoam balls whirling about an armchair in the center.
"White particles are blown around in a big transparent cylinder. Visitors can take a seat on the armchair in the middle of the whirlpool or observe from the outside. In the eye of the storm, it is calm and safe. In this spectacular meditation machine one can follow the patterns, focus on the layers of 3D pixels or listen to its waterfall sound. One could call it a training device, challenging the visitor to find peace in a fast changing environment."

Relaxing in the "eye of the storm"
It was good, nerdy fun. As was the greenhouse exhibit upstairs next to a piece that created a windmill of sorts out of water bottles and LED lights. The sculptor used bottles filled with sand to focus attention on the fading availability of clean water. On the other side of the gallery was a quirky tent filled with growing garden vegetables (tomatoes mostly if I'm remembering correctly) that invited guests to dance inside with the plants. So, we did. Briefly.

We had Pizza Hut for lunch, which I should have known was a bad idea since even in the states I usually get sick from eating there. But, just like it didn't stop me from going to the buffet on weekends (especially for the dessert pizza) in college, it didn't stop us in Beijing. After our stomachs were sufficiently coated in grease, we made our way to the art district. I didn't get to go with Anna and Lei Ti to the art district in Shanghai, so I was excited about this trip. It actually reminded me of the third ward in Milwaukee, an industrial area taken over and reinvented by artists and gallery owners. The taxi ride there got me a little car sick, and combined with the Pizza Hut, my stomach never really recovered. But, other than my stomach hating me for the evening, it was a good time. It was refreshingly less crowded than we were getting used to, and there was a ton to see.

"Floating" Bikes
Love is a work of art. Aren't they cute?
"Wall art"
That night I went to sleep hoping my stomach would stop loathing me, and luckily when I woke up the next day I felt nearly 100 percent better. It was time to go back to Shanghai, High Speed Rail style. We made it back that evening to the same hotel we left a few days prior to go to Beijing, but Lei Ti wasn't feeling too well. Anna and I left him to his Chinese peaches and bed and we went to the French Concession where we had had the amazing fried bananas. This time we stumbled upon a Mexican place, after buying fabulously large, colorful lens-free glasses. It's amazing how walking away can get a vendor to really bring down his prices. For Mexican in China, it was a really great place, and the margaritas were 2 for 1 (something we didn't know until we got the bill, which was probably for the best). This was the most expensive meal we had eaten in China, and with a margarita my total couldn't have been more than $13 USD. I really could get used tot he restaurant pricing here.

Our last day in Shanghai was low key. We slept late, went souvenir shopping and watched our last night of Chinese dating shows. We were getting excited for our return trips home, though it was a bit bittersweet considering I wouldn't get to see Anna again for months.

We woke up packed and ready to go, but the weather would have something else in store for me. It would be another 72 hours before I made it home, after rerouting and airport overnights. More on that crazy weekend soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment