Friday, April 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Lane!

In my first Maryland post I forgot to mention the adorable routine Lane has before bed time. She turns out the lights in her room, excitedly asks for purple stars (which appear on the ceiling at the push of a button), hugs and kisses everyone, and says goodnight when she's put in her crib. I don't know if it is this easy every night, but it seemed that easy both nights I was there. I also don't have much experience with other two-year-olds, so I'm not sure if she is the norm or if my friends are lucky or phenomenal parents, but I hope for the sake of all parents of two-year-olds that it is the norm. 

The next morning I woke up to the smell of marinated pork simmering on the stove. It smelled delicious. It reminded me of tamale making day with my dad. The ladies, including the little lady, left Nick to the cooking and party prep and headed to the Amish Market. This was the second Amish Market I visited in as many weeks. This Amish Market is known for its pretzels, and it's well warranted. The cinnamon raisin pretzels sticks were just the right softness and sweetness for breakfast and went perfectly with my latte. The guy behind the espresso machine was super nice and shared his booth with a fudge shoppe where I bought maple and chocolate fudge, it couldn't have been a better start to the Saturday.

When we got back to the house it was time to finish making the Mickey Mouse cake. Well, Corrine did. I mostly watched and then used the scraps to make myself a cake to celebrate my 29th birthday. While Corinne finished up the cake and Nick mowed the lawn, I went for jog. Easton is a great place to run. People stop even when they have the right to turn to let you cross the street and there are tree-lined main streets. Though the pollen is so intense it coats the cars, it didn't seem to bother my allergies, though I have to admit I did take an allergy pill in the morning that I may have to give some credit. And on this particular Saturday, they were having a farmers market in the city square that I took a stroll through. It was a small farmers' market, but it seemed to have everything you could ask for from a local market. I can't wait to visit some of the markets here in Chicago. After the run it was time to party. Elaina's friends came over with their parents and we had a fun afternoon in the sun. She got an old school radio flyer wagon that all the kids loved. And then it was time for the cake, funfetti and strawberry.

Elaina dove right in!

Later we jokingly brought out my ridiculous looking cake and everyone sang to me. They even had a glittery 2 and a glittery 9. 

After the sugar rush wore off and the party trickled down, we took a 30 minute drive to St. Michael's. It kind of reminded me of Lake Geneva. A cute town with lots of shops with a double e. It was a little late, so there wasn't much open. Though we did get to look at some nick knacks, fun signs, and cute sea side decor. We walked to the bay and tried our hand at making appropriate faces in the wooden paintings with the faces cut out for tourists like me to take silly photos like this one. Does anyone know the appropriate name of these things?


As the sun went down we made our way back to Easton, and since it was still Lane's birthday day we went for ice cream. So. Much. Sugar! I tried red velvet and a pretzel caramel. I had never had either before, and they are as delicious as they sound. The red velvet had pieces of cake mixed in with the brilliant red ice cream. We ate our cones on a bench across from yesterday's lunch pub. The street light made for some dramatic photos. Elaina has my sweater on because when the sun went down, it cooled off quick.

                                        
After the birthday girl got sufficiently covered with drips from her ice cream, we called it a night. The little one was so tired she went right straight to bed. Corinne and I stayed up to watch awfully awesome TLC television, and Nick finished his movie which I didn't have time to screen during this trip. I guess I'll have to wait for the Chicago screening.

No comments:

Post a Comment