Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Talk Derby to Me


Note: This blog was started nearly a month ago. A crazy, exciting, unpredictable month. My job hunt is finally over, and I have a new place in Edgewater (still close to Lake Michigan, and closer to some great friends). Moving and starting a new job have left little time for writing. Today is the first day in an effort to get back on track not only on this blog, but on that novel I've been telling myself I'll finish by the end of the year. Below is a quick recap of the Derby trip. Next up: Weekend in Seattle.

---

In 1970, Hunter S. Thompson wrote “The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved.” It was the result of deadline driven madness that led to the publication of his first person account of the spectacle that is the Kentucky Derby and the beginning of gonzo journalism. Though I was never for want of a Julep, I can say with certainty that my experiences at the Derby have been watered-down in comparison, but they have never failed to deliver lively tales of pomp and circumstance (and indulgence). This year was no different.

This was the first time have ever had a ticket to the “grand stand” and made it to the Oaks, which takes place the Friday before “the most exciting two minutes in sports.” Right after Andrew and I met up with his brother and sister-in-law, the Churchill Downs staff members were herding everyone inside. We thought we could wait it out in our ponchos, but just as we picked up a couple abandoned lily glasses, we were told to join the others under the stands. There was no way we were fitting in, people were packed in like the back of a clown car, so we stood on the outside letting the rain pound our poncho hoods. It was the kind of rain that seems as though someone is pouring a bucket of water directly onto you, but not a big bucket because it didn’t last for too long. 


We were back in the stands within a few minutes and waiting for the next race, eyes peeled for the Julep seller. The Oaks is known as Ladies Day at Churchill Downs, to raise awareness for Women’s Health Issues everyone wears pink and there is a cancer survivor parade. I took the opportunity to wear my favorite pink shirt with a sequined flower appliqué from my travels to Australia half a decade ago. It’s one of those shirts I just can’t give away, even though it might be beyond its prime. Who knew there were so many shades of pink? Nearly everyone in the crowd was sporting a pink hat, shirt or skirt.

The day of the oaks also marked Andrew’s brother’s birthday, so we sang and after the races made our way to a steak house for a late dinner. They had fried pickles, so really, I was set. I also got a loaded baked potato (substituting broccoli for bacon). For a steak house, my options were pretty good, and the servers brought out a birthday dessert. It was a tasty, filling end to a good first day in Louisville.

The Derby day was hot. Not "you'll be fine if you wear light colors, linen shorts, and sunscreen" hot, but "even the devil would hate it outside" hot. But, the juleps were flowing, sunscreen was being reapplied, people were wearing hats, and horses were racing. The bets I placed for friends came through, and I didn't loose more than a couple bucks betting. You don't loose what you don't bet, but that also means no "big money" wins were going to come through for me. 

As for the hat, Andrew's mom let me borrow a colorful hat that fit well with the Cinco de Mayo at the Derby theme more than a few people were following. Sombreros were not uncommon. 

This year we didn't make it to the infield or the paddock. And honestly, we didn't hear about the murder at the paddock until a couple days later. It's still under investigation. The stands are so crowded and there is so much going on, that there is a lot that I didn't get to see (like the fabulous hats of the celebrities who didn't make it to the jumbo screen). But, it's always better to be there than watch it on TV. Like most sporting events, I'm in it for the time I get to spend with my friends not who wins or looses. But, in case you'd like a reminder about the Derby winner, it was I'll Have Another. He was on his way to the triple crown, but was scratched from the Belmont due to an ankle injury. 


No comments:

Post a Comment