Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What I did this summer

If this blog is the only way you keep up with me, you may think I've been stationary all summer. Nope, quite the opposite. I've been making my way across the great states of the Midwest, mainly Southern Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, and the great flat open road of Indiana. I have been to all these places before, and so if you are looking for a take on a new locale, you'll have to wait. But if you're interested in how I spent my summer weekends traveling in my scion to visit old friends, read on. Take this as a post to satisfy the part of me that is nostalgic for the days where this time of year signified a new school year. This is an homage to the days of writing "what I did this summer" essays on crisp pages of new notebooks. 

So, let's travel back to the beginning of the summer. June. And an amazing friend's birthday celebration in Madison. A quick three hour drive north, this party was of epic proportions, as any event with a scavenger hunt is prone to be. Andrew and I caught up with the group at the second stop and became members of the blue team. Matching bandanas unified us, and we got right to work photographing completed hunt tasks. The next stop was a chance to sip a fabulous martini and make a word using our bodies. On our way, we were in search for a fortune cookie and stopped at every place that sold egg rolls we passed by, but none had the illusive cookie. Also, we watched as a group of locals passed by Erbert and Gerberts screaming a version of the sandwich shoppe's name that sounded a lot like this meme reads.


Then came the boot. Summer shandy, German style. We put down our deposit, yes, they make you pay a few bucks to be certain you'll return the novelty glass (plastic), and got to work. And I helped myself to the complementary popcorn. Free popcorn is always a good idea. On our walk around state street, we ogled the candy store and took pictures with the colorful candy wall. One stop was a bar with a tree in the center. The jukebox was ours and we promptly played classic 90s party jams. If you're looking for a theme for your bar, tree in the middle works pretty well. As is bound to happen on State Street, we ran into a bachelorette party that had a sort of preppy tennis theme, or it might have been golf. Either way, it was a sport where it is customary for women to wear skirts and polo shirts. I guess this is good a theme as any for a bachelorette, but maybe not as good as from classy to trashy (which is what some may classify the party you'll read about later in this post). The night wound down at another German beer-hall style locale. It's nights like these that make me glad Madison is only a car trip away these days. 

Mid-July brought Andrew and I down to Southern Illinois (that drive never gets more exciting, though the windmills help) for his cousin's wedding tux fittings, and wedding party bonding in Evansville. The youngest groomsman, who I think may be in the fourth or fifth grade, was hoping for camouflage, but had to settle for trying on a vest. The bride and groom knew their style (a little more traditional than the camo, and hunter orange), which made the tuxedo shopping super quick. Then it was time for pub pizza and jalepeno poppers. I know this food is not the most interesting or unique, but it's delicious and makes any pub meal better. It actually reminds me a lot of going to The Pizza Joynt in middle school after basketball or volleyball games. The rest of the group went on to watch the Dark Knight, but as some of you know, I'm not a huge fan of Batman. I know, this is sacrilegious to some, but I just can't get into it. (If you want the full explanation, just ask. I have a great argument considering how offensive this opinion is to many, and am happy to share it). I used the few hours to work on my book. It's getting there, really. 

The next weekend the we were on our way in the opposite direction to Old World Wisconsin in Eagle, Wisconsin. First though, was a visit to friends in Pewaukee. We got there in time to check out Taste of Pewaukee by the lake. There were even surprise guests, our Ohio friends. We grabbed tasty treats and hankered down around a table in the sand to catch up. The reggae music, while a little out of place in this area, was a welcome soundtrack to the evening. And the often slimy lake even looked nice lit by the moonlight. 

The next day was a great day to celebrate our friends' marriage. A few months earlier they eloped to to Red Wood forest. Just them, an officiant, photographer, and the trees. I can't think of anything more them. The celebration was at Old World Wisconsin. Old World Wisconsin is a quaint little place about 20 minutes outside Whitewater. It's the kind of place that makes me miss living in the country. This is where we ate, drank, danced a little, reminisced about college days and made new memories captures by a digital photo booth.  




The people that were there are the people that make me miss having all my friends in one place, like college. But, really, it's great to know that after all these years we can all get together and have a great time, no matter where our lives have taken us. I don't have a good segue to introduce these pictures, but I just have to share it to give a little hint to how much fun it is to be with my friends. 




That night we traveled back to Pewaukee and enjoyed the fabulous hospitality of old friends. The last few hours in town we helped them shop for their European adventure. We split boys and girls. Girls in search of a perfect traveling purse, complete with a zipper and the ability to hold everything one would need while walking down the streets of Rome. I have no idea what the guys were hunting, but we were successful. And I didn't buy a thing. Another success. 

A couple weekends later we were back in Wisconsin for another wedding celebration. Anna and her new hubby were back in town from Taiwan. By the time they had their U.S. party, they had been husband and wife for more than half a year. They got married around Chinese new year. She wore her wedding dress in her parents' front lawn for this gathering of friends and family who only get to see her a couple times a year. She looked like a princess ballerina. If I were her I'd find every occasion to wear it again and again. Wouldn't you?


The other fabulous part aside from seeing the happy couple was the cake. They had four different cakes and a hamburger cookie made from vanilla wafers, a thin mint, and lettuce and ketchup colored icing. And if the cake wasn't enough, they brought Taiwan candies. The best was the fish "candy." It's wrapper was shiny and gave the impression that a mint-type candy was inside. In fact, it was more like a fish bouillon cube. I still have some. If you're reading this and thinking, "man, I can't live without trying this weird thing," text me and I'll get you some. My favorite was the coffee candy, but that is no surprise considering my growing addiction to coffee. In addition to the wedding celebration, their was also excitement in the sky. We all kept our eyes peeled that night for the The Perseid meteor shower. Andrew and Lei Ti discussed why it was happening with the help of Google translate and a hat to describe the universe. The rest of us sat around the fire and looked up a seconds too late after the two guys made and excited "wow" sounds. The sky show was after after the BB gun target practice that completed the total Wisconsin/US wedding. That and the cans of MGD. This is how to celebrate! 

The next week, after work on Friday, Andrew and I drove for six hours through the empty open roads of Indiana to visit our Ohio friends in their new house outside of Columbus. Arriving at nearly 2 in the morning left little to do but watch terrible MTV shows, we chatted for a while and then we all hit the hay with plans for brunch and zoo in the morning. The zoo in Columbus has a water park attached! With full bellies we drove to the zoo. We opted for the water park first and never actually made it to see the animals (which is ok, I've been to far more zoos than water parks in my life). The water park and the unusually hot weather made me feel like I was somewhere a little more exotic than Columbus, and the fact that everyone else there was from the Midwest I felt more comfortable in my swimsuit than if I were on the beaches of southern California. Why haven't I been on more lazy rivers in my life? And wave pools. Both are a ton of fun and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. That night we had big plans to hit the town, but all the fresh air limited us to a delicious late dinner (we didn't get back from the water park until like 9 pm). Sunday was a perfect Farmers Market day before heading home. The market in Columbus reminded me so much of the Milwaukee Public Market. The whole city of Columbus really reminds me of Milwaukee. There are local restaurants inside, a small grocer (where I picked up some fruits and veggies for the road), bakeries, and crafts. We found seats for lunch on picnic tables by a guitarist outside and before we left I found a couple pendants to add to my chunky jewelry collection. Oh, and before I end my Ohio summary, I can't forget that our pups got to play together. Pips is such a trooper in the car, and it was fun to see her and Tuck together (after he got used 
to her again that is...).

This brings us to two weekends before labor day. Bachelorette shenanigans. That's about all I can tell here in good conscious. Good times were had by all in the Dells.

And then, Labor Day. The last official holiday of the summer. Pools will close after today and school will be in full swing (until the strike at least). For me, Labor Day was spent celebrating one more happy couple. Andrew's cousin and his bride. This time we were in Southern Illinois for a fall-themed wedding. It was a nice church ceremony followed by party/bash at the American Legion. And this was another celebration enhanced by a photo booth and delicious desserts. This time my favorite was pumpkin cake pops and red velvet cake. In my book red velvet cake is always a winner. I love that weddings give me an excuse to dance. And, it was a nearly a miracle because even though I wore new shoes to this wedding I kept them on all night.  

And that brings us to September. The leaves are changing and pumpkin season, the best season, is upon us. Thank you for indulging my nostalgia for back-to-school essays about summer's past. Happy Fall!










  



No comments:

Post a Comment