Thursday, February 24, 2011

They're everywhere (o estan por todos partes)

Nearly a month ago, my friend Anna read my mind and wrote this blog. Ok, well, she didn't read my mind so much have a very similar experience and articulate it in a way that I won't be able to top. The short story is that Mormons are everywhere. The long story is really not all that interesting as it involves a pretty dull conversation between me and two Mormons from Wisconsin, so I'll spare you the details. Simply read Anna's blog and imagine it taking place in Mexico. For example, you can substitute her mention of Chinese for Spanish and stoplight for sidewalk outside of my school and boyfriend for school security guard.

Anyway, I tried to think of a better way to say this, but Anna summed it up for me perfectly, "In a way it's kind of cool that they [Mormons] send their people out to different parts of the world, but my problem with them is their approach. It's an arrogant worldview - they're not there to learn about a culture, or respect it in any way. They're going into someone else's land, one that has nothing to do with them, just to tell the people that how they live and what they believe is wrong, and should be more like them. It makes me ashamed, and hope that no one associates me with people like that just because we're from the same country."

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way you do about their evangelical style...
    -Mom (using Janet's gmail acct)

    ReplyDelete